Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tournaments

I have always done pretty well in tournaments. I would say my biggest weakness would be the bubble as I often try to get ITM rather than make it deep. There have been plenty of instances where I allowed myself to get crippled just to make the money. Obviously, that is not a way to win tournaments.

Tonight, I bought into the $17k guaranteed on FTP. I won my buy in back plus some, so I thought I would give it a shot. Part of the reason I burned out previously is because I would just play sngs and I would not play a lot of tournaments. I think the variety will be good for me and will give me some excitement if I can make a few deep runs. It is not out of my capabilities to have a nice, deep cash.

I forgot how much patience you need playing these. It is funny, the WSOP is going on right now and I think about all these internet pros that 20-table and then they are forced to play 50 hands/hour as opposed to 1500 hands/hr. My first hour in this tourney I have been card dead, but at least was able to increase my stack size a little bit...lets hope for a heater!

I am really pleased how I am playing. I had 5k in chips and in 4 hands took it to 22k. I went to the break in the top 15. After break, i lost AQ v A2, AK v KQ, and QQ v AK. So, my stack was cut in half. However, still alive with a better than average stack, so I cant complain! Let's hope some of that variance comes back to me!

Lots of hands went against me tonight...had AK v J9s and that would have put me back in the game and i lost to the runner runner flush...oh well...still at it. So much for no bad beat entries...but its my first tourney in a while...man, these take forever!

I pushed 88 over QQ and didnt improve...went out 39/759...so not bad for my first tourney back. I still like my push, but i was expecting to be racing and hoping that the dude that busted me was not looking to race...

No comments: