Saturday, March 07, 2009

March 7, 2009

My first session was today. Really, really good stuff. I have a lot of information on poker in my head, but i needed someone to hold my hand and spoonfeed it to me to start putting it all together. I got that today and the light started to go on. During my session, my coach sweated me for just over an hour. I ended up about .6 buy ins, which was awesome, but I learned so much about what i should be doing and how I was ignoring some of the very basic rules of 6-max play. when you start to obey some of these rules, the game become much more straightforward. I see it like blackjack - but no, poker isnt gambling like blackjack! What I mean is if you have ever played and understand blackjack, there really isnt too much thought into it other than how much you are g0ing to bet. when the cards are dealt the decisions are fixed based on basic strategy. then, you find the guys that think about every situation without considering what the statistics say. the game is quite a bit more difficult when you approach each situation without considering the odds. the same holds true for poker. I was breaking a few rules and not considering all the information at my disposal.

Before my first session, I was a slight losing player at the low stakes NL tables. Let's see if I can turn that around and start churning a profit and move up!

I will be posting more this week as I log some hands. Stay tuned.

#################################

Quick update. I played 2 tables for a while tonight...logged about 172 hands and won about a buck! :) I did get in against a short stack with KQ on a K high board but he rivered the flush. If that hand holds up I am up 53 bucks. however, i am not going to be that concerned with results because that isnt what is important. I knew I could play poker profitably, but i was always second guessing myself and just not developing a game I could tweak because i was being too undisciplined. tonight, i never felt more comfortable at the tables. I used to not want to play because it was too stressful, but right now i feel like I am the puppet master. Yes, I am playing the very low stakes games, but you have to start somewhere. I hope to log a few thousand hands and reassess, but as we speak I feel like I plugged enough gigantic leaks to truly wonder if I am break even or even profitable at this point. Very excited.

Pokertracker Stats:
.84BB/100

No comments: