Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Overcoming Gambler's Mentality

I have been slightly consumed by poker thinking since I woke up. In the past when I was playing sngs, very profitably I might add, but I still had the issue of getting in enough table time to really start making some cash. In college, I would have bought a 12-pack, sat down, logged on, and played for days. Now, I just cannot do that and even if I had the time I dont know if I could. I am encouraged that I am finding the game much easier now and feel completely in control at the table. I think that will help encourage me to play more because I do not feel such a sense of, well, doubt. I know it is so important to log hands and generate a large sample in which to base any conclusions regarding profitability. It took me a long time to do that with sngs and I believe I just never turned the corner and had the confidence in myself to say, yes you are a winning player so continue to grind because the more tables you play, the more money you make.

I wrote about this previously, but I call this the gambler's mentality. I enjoy games of chance, mainly blackjack. However, I understand the house has an edge and over time I will loose all my money. So, when I run hot in poker, I get the urge to leave and take my money. While in poker, that urge to leave is counterproductive. If you are on a heater, you should stick it out. Either your play is very good, your luck is turning, or whatever it is stick with it! This is my next obstacle that I plan on addressing.

Recap:
  1. I am a winning player
  2. I need to log hands to generate enough hands to determine an approximate winrate
  3. I need to log hands to build my bankroll and move up
  4. I start by 2-tabling and add a third as I learn about my first two tables
  5. I am developing a solid TAG style. I feel the aggressiveness of my style now more than ever. I am putting the other players in the positions that I hated when I was playing previously. I put in the raises against the OOP players and find how powerful it is making others make the tough decisions.
  6. I need to learn to extract the maximum value on hands. I think that will be the subject of my next lesson - Extracting maximum value.

The next several months I will be logging as many hands as possible to determine my winrate. Keep on checking in. This is the start of my journey and I would like to share it with as many as possible. I started out with a lot of jumbled ideas that I needed help organizing. In one session I feel I went from a slightly losing player to a winning player. The fundamentals/foundation is the most important part of your game and I believe I am showing that with every post. Follow along and leave comments...I will be playing tonight, so stay tuned for updates.

##############################

Update.

Just fired up 2 tables and getting situated.

I stacked myself...pushed too hard trying to make things happen...need to slow down.

What I am struggling with is how to balance aggression with maximizing the value of each hand. Seems when I bait them to play, they hit. However, when I bet my made hands they fold. So, it makes me want to bet more so they dont draw on me, but then I feel like I am not getting the most out of every hand. How frequent would you say stacking someone is?

I can see how poker is completely a game of playing the rushes. I was hitting nicely last night and tonight i felt like not enough action was coming my way...so I was trying to force things, but you have to fight that urge because the cards do come, you just have to wait and not dig too deep a hole while you do!

There was a 5 mins stretch where I was getting at least one playable hand on one of my tables, my small PPs were hitting sets, I was getting solid prospective hands folded to me in late position...it all comes together for a few mins and you must capitalize and recognize when it slows back down.

##############

I started 2-tabling tonight and tried to get a feel for my first 2 tables. I never got into the groove really as other things are weighing heavily on my mind lately. I used some pretty bad logic and figured I was trying to push things too hard and decided to fire up another table. That lead to quickly firing up 1 more. So, I was 4-tabling about half of my set tonight. I believe I started at 7:40ish and will be finished up here just around 10. I am anxious to see how many hands I logged tonight as well as my return. I think my heater came at just the right time and I was cooling off as I closed down my tables. Was fun to go from down about a buy in and a half to two buy ins to being positive on the night I believe. I am really regretting that decision I made to get involved with TPTK. I knew it was screaming fold, but I pushed too hard. It is taking me far too long to get someone to commit their stack when I have a monster...I need to make sure that when I do get a chance to stack someone that I am not just digging out of a hole I created for myself with a stupid play earlier!

I almost proved I didn't have what it takes to be a constant winner by playing to recklessly. I recognized it and settled into a comfort zone. For me, it will be a key to start my sessions in a more centered mindset as I do not have the ability to sit down and play my A game immediately. I also folded a speculative early in the SB and would have stacked 2 players had I called...That might have frustrated me a bit.

Regardless, here are the stats for tonight:

580 hands in about 2 hours, so 4-tabling was a nice way to boost my number of hands considerably. I won a little, but not much. My PTBB/100 dropped a little to 3.63BB/100, but I would have a much better return had I just listened to my gut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It gets down to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]