Monday, April 13, 2009

New goals...

As the month approaches the halfway point, I wanted to reassess my goals. While I think they are attainable, I think I am going to pull back on how many hands I play per month and focus more on quality of play and shoot for acceptable minimums. I think 15k hands per month is doable for sure and should shoot for playing at least 15k hands, not 25-30k as I had originally set as my goal. I am doing this for a few reasons.

First off, I have a full time job and playing an average of 1k hands per day means at least 2 hours a night. If I miss, that means making that up. I found that was just too much time for me because I have a family and a new arrival on the way. I just was not able to get the quality time I needed with the family and the quality time on the tables. I would not let poker distract me from my family, so there were times I would sit down at 10 and try to play. It just wore me down too much and after a few weeks I felt like my wife was a stranger. So, I do not want to do that and would like to set more reasonable goals. I can log 500 hands per day in just over an hour and I can make up some time on weekends, so I am very happy with that.

Also, when I had such aggressive goals, I would sit down and try to make things happen. If the goal is more attainable, there is no feeling of urgency when I sit down. I sit down in a zen-like state which is definitely +EV!

No comments: