Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Off last night...

I fell asleep last night and didn't play. And, I do not feel bad about it. Part of my issue is that after I finish up my session I am still a bit wired so I mess around online until my mind stops racing and I can relax. Often, I end up messing around until 1 in the morning. I need to stop doing that because I just start to get tired later in the week and it can cost me a session here and there.

I hope to log 500 hands tonight...

Playing great and was up a bunch, then got coolered 2 hands in a row. top set at the turn, but dude had A10 and hit his straight for 41 against me...then next hand i had 99 and lost about 25 when i had an overpair and dude had AA...got away cheap.

still ok...lets see how it shapes up...

Played some great poker and had some really good hands. Hit quad aces on the turn after there was a 3 way all in on the flop. I had a feeling I was behind, but I had AA on an AKQ board. I had it pegged correctly, up against 2 pr and a made straight. The straight was drawing to the royal flush though, but I was able to dodge the Q of spades and busted two people. So, odd session. It was a short one, 435 hands and was up almost 2 buy ins, then dropped them with a massive cooler on consecutive hands. But, another nice rush and I am up over 2 buy ins.

I have successfully built my bankroll to where I can start dabbling in 100NL. This is exciting because I have proven to myself that I can win at my current level. I do need to start moving up if I want to continue playing because I need to make more per hour. I have a few bankroll management rules that I set for myself. They are quite a bit more conservative than most and I believe it may hold back my progress, but I also believe it will allow me to move up and never move back down. I like to have 30 buy ins before I move up. That way I can drop a few and still stick around instead of dropping back down to win it back at half the rate I lost it. I never understood that. I believe I could take some shots at 100NL as I used to dabble in some 200NL, but right now I am content with racking up solid sessions and building a bankroll.

These sorts of decisions are what makes me love poker in a romanticized way. I could move up, essentially giving myself a raise. But, have I earned it? I look at my 9-5, more like 8-6, job and often ask myself the same question. At work, I would almost always say yes, but with poker I say no. By moving up, you are essentially giving yourself a raise. If you can remain profitable, you can earn at twice the rate you were previously. How awesome is that? If you 4-table, add 2 more and give yourself a raise. I would like to start 6-tabling, but my playing set up is not cutting it. My goal is to make my jump to 100NL and win $1,000 for myself to properly set up a workstation. Then, I will add 2-4 tables and really start to log some serious hands...

Anyway, I just wanted to add some thoughts regarding my bankroll management and my short term goals. If I can double my bankroll over the next few months, I should be due a pretty substantial raise! Track my progress and see if I can make it happen!

No comments: