Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday 2/19/2006

Didn't play last night. Ended up going out, drinking a lot of beer, and shooting pool. Havent played pool in a while, but played decent. Some guys thought I was hustling them because I was on fire and told them I havent played in about a year...Bar tables make everyone a good pool player. Back to poker...

So, with all the new changes to Party, I decided to go to 2+2 and see what was going on. Everyone there is quite reactionary, so I figured there would be a lot of activity. There is so much good content on there, but it is mixed in with so much bullshit that its hard to see the information that is worthwhile. I think I am pretty much done with 2+2 as a resource for improving my game. I think I have the tools I need to adjust and I need to log hours and tables, not message threads. I am going to hop in the shower, clear my head, and maybe fire up some sngs.

UPDATE:

I just played 5 sngs tonight. Went 2/5 with a 1st and a 3rd. Moving up to the $77s has been refreshing because the jump to the $109s is a big one...moving from 22s to 33s can just take a few days of running well...same for the $33s to the $55s. but, the jump from the $55s to the $109s has been taking a while. While obsessing over my desire to jump buy ins, i have put a lot of thought into this. But, the introduction of the $77s helps me build the bankroll faster to get to my target.

So, while thinking about when I should make the jump, I realized that many have said you only need 30 buy ins. I agree because my biggest downswing has been less than 20. BUT, if I were faced with having to fire up a few more sngs (at the same buy in) after losing two thirds of my bankroll, I dont know if I could. For me, I am foregoing the fast approach for the safe one. The ironic thing is, compared to most, I am a pretty risky person. Compared to poker players, I'm pretty conservative. Right now, I am bankrolled for the $215s, but I am playing the $77s. I really, really want to be making the money that the $215 players make, but I want to get there and never have to drop down. Instead of jumping up buy ins so fast, here is how I build my roll and why I take such a conservative approach.

When I am playing a certain level, for instance the $77s, I want to master this level where I understand the nuances of that particular level. So, as I acquire this information, I want to use it to its fullest because it is expensive information to get. So, I maximize the amount I win at each level so I can give myself a chance to learn the new level's nuances. Therefore, even if I go on a losing streak the moment I move up buy ins, I can still handle it without every worrying about my bankroll. I do not get nervous if I have 80 buys ins. So, if I have a 20 buy in downswing, which is equal to my biggest, I still have 80 buy ins and have no worries...much of poker is psychological and I want the impact of my bankroll to have no bearing on my style or level of play. By taking this approach, I give myself the best possible scenario to succeed when I move up. AND, if I go on a losing streak, I NEVER HAVE TO DROP DOWN A LEVEL TO WIN MY MONEY BACK AT HALF THE PACE IN WHICH I LOST IT! I just dont understand how people can stomach doing that.

No comments: