Thursday, January 12, 2006

Thursday 01/12/2006

Man, these days just keep flying by. I can't believe it is already Thursday and I have to go to my second job after my first one. Then, after my second job, I want to log at least 6 sngs tonight. It really does make Monday and Thursday just fly by. But, working two jobs is definitely better than I thought it would be. Admittedly, I have a great situation. I just have to get in there and do some work tonight because it is month-end and I have a lot of extra stuff to do this time of the month. I sure hope this arrangement lasts for a while because it will help me get ahead!!

Other than that, I have a very busy day ahead of me...just wanted to post because I am thinking about poker...just don't have time to play a lot of it tonight. Here are a few random thoughts:

I was mad at myself for not playing last weekend. What that did was put me behind schedule, was a lapse in discipline, and in the long run, may hurt my game. I have tried to set up my week where I will have a MINIMUM of 2 days off from poker. Well, when I push that limit, it takes away from my study time. When I take an unplanned break from poker, it is usually to waste time doing something unproductive. While I am the slack-master, my goals are to be disciplined. So, instead of studying hand histories and reading, I had to log another night of sngs. My ROI isn't quite where I would like it, but then again, I have a small sample size. Just need to be patient!

Once my work life settles down, I will be heading to the gym and trying to take care of myself, physically. I am the type that does everything compulsively. I am trying to take control of that, but I do everything to the extreme. I have never been able to incorporate more than 2 or 3 passions into my life because I get so absorbed with one or two of them. For instance, working out is a passion of mine and when I am into it, I do it compulsively. But, then I get burned out after about a year and my body aches, so while I rest my body, I pick up something else. Well, it appears poker is here to stay and working out MUST become a top priority, not for vanity but because I am getting older...well, finally out of my 20s. Work usually takes a back seat to my happiness. This has caused me some frustrations, but I have had jobs that just plain SUCKED! Sucked is a relative term; let's just say it affected my life outside of the office and I vowed to never let that happen again. If I play my cards right, it never may! (Damn I am good with these puns!!) But poker can definitely infringe on my home life...the ups and downs are hard to handle, but I look forward to learning!

As some of you know, I have been interviewing for jobs. I have quit my old job on a full time basis and have been able to keep my core duties. So, I have freed up myself to get a different full time job. I am currently working at a large corporation and I really like the people I work with, but the work is mind-numbingly boring. One of the advantages of working in a large corporation is that you can be anonymous a lot of the time and just mess around and get paid decently to just hang around. Smaller companies do not usually pay quite as well and you have much more responsibilities and less benefits. So, I have been working at my new job on a temp to hire basis for the first month. After which, I will have to "apply" for the job...I should find out today or tomorrow if I get offered a job at a very fast growing networking company. I feel like i am in a morgue at work...all these old people coughing and complaining. I feel like I am dying here...but it seems low stress and pretty easy. It will be a hard decision to make if I am offered the other job. I have pretty much decided to take it if it is offered. Better pay, about 12-15% higher than what I am making now, full benefits, plus 3 weeks vacation in year 1! Sounds too good to be true. I know working there will be much more active and potentially stressful, but much, much more fulfilling. Anyway, I will keep you updated on the job situations. I cannot bank on doing the books at my old job forever...so if that ever gets yanked away, then I will be happy I opted for a bit more money and more vacation!!

UPDATE:

I ended up playing 11 sngs tonight. I played better, but not great. Still too many early exits for my taste. I am usually seeing 4 multitablers on my tables...which sometimes makes playing the bubble easier. The only reason I say this is because they respect the pushes and they often push marginal hands. In the last sngs that I won tonight, one guy kept playing very aggressively and was picking up blinds. So, I had K8s and called his push and he had Q9o. My hand held up, but bad players usually do not play Q9 so aggressively, and if they do, they do not often tighten up and do not continue to play so aggressively. I was able to bust that dude about 4 hands later when he pushed A 10o into me when I had QQ.

So, down $5 from poker, but up just over $9 with rakeback. I am amazed how I am playing so many sngs and just winning or losing small amounts. Back when I was playing one at a time and only a few a night I was able to win or lose more. I guess this is a good thing though.

No comments: