Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tuesday 1/31/2006 - Month In Review

So I pretty much took yesterday off. Ended up hanging out with my friend Ben and then got home a little too buzzed and late to play poker...at least profitably.

Tonight I am not going to push it to make up for last night...I am going to take it easy and maybe play a few, but I wanted to just end the month on a relaxing note. I made money this month, maybe not quite as much as I wanted.

I have been thinking about how my play has changed since I started playing more sngs. My ROI is down, so I am not exactly sure if that means my game does not translate well to me playing a higher volume and paying less attention to each game. I know when I feel like I am in the zone, I see everything on the table. I wish I knew how to turn that on and off, but when I am in the zone, I know I will win...the only question is how much. I think that January showed me some tough love...positive movement in the bankroll, but a big downswing and a very long stretch of tough beats. So February will help me understand whether it was truly just variance, or whether I need to take some serious time and re-evaluate my game. Not that continual evaluation is bad, but I honestly believe that once I am able to play the $109s profitably, I will have very little desire to change my game. I am not quite sure whether I am going to be willing to move up because such big profits can be attainted at the $109s, but when my bankroll is at $20k, I am sure I will be playing the $215s...it would be silly not to.

Playing well, but the bad beats are just horrible. I lost on the river in at least 4 sngs tonight. Been playing well, just cant understand how I can continue to lose hands where I am a dominant favorite...need to keep cool.

Played 2 more and took 2 2nds, so that helped take the sting out of tonight. Im down 5 buy ins.

I ended the month on a terrible downswing. I had a still believe I am playing solid, but just not getting very lucky when the river hits. I have been getting destroyed on the river...but these things will balance out. I had a few suck outs, but then again, i got sucked out against heads up and he ended up going on to beat me. This month, I am up over $1000 including rakeback. Considering I was up nearly $2k about two thirds of the way through the month, this is a disappointing finish. But I have to look on the bright side, I won for the month. I think part of the reason I am putting so much emphasis on my numbers this much is because I am still trying to figure out how I will end up long term. I would like to figure out what my typical ROI will be, and the more I have been playing, the more it has dropped. Need to get a good start to February!

No comments: